Can I get a Restricted California Driver’s License after DUI?

If your California driver’s license was suspended due to a DUI, you may be eligible for a restricted license if:

  • This is your only DUI-related offense within the last 10 years.
  • The results of your chemical test showed a BAC level of: 0.08% or more, if you were operating a non-commercial vehicle OR 0.04% or more, if you were driving a commercial vehicle.
  • You were 21 years old or older at the time of your arrest.

In order to obtain a restricted license from the California DMV, you must enroll in a licensed DUI First Offender program. Notify the program provider that you are applying for a restricted driver’s license.

After your mandatory suspension of 30 days:

  • Ask the program provider to file a Proof of Enrollment Certificate (Form DL-107) with the CA DMV.
  • Pay the $125 reissue fee.
  • File proof of your financial responsibility, such as: California Insurance Proof Certificate (SR 22).
  • Request a “To/From/During Course of Employment and DUI Program” restriction.

Your restricted license will be valid for 5 months and will only allow you to:

  • Drive to, from, and during the period of your employment.
  • Drive to and from the location of your DUI program.

NOTE: If you don’t complete your DUI program, your CA driver’s license will be suspended for 4 months.

If you have been charged with a DUI, call our office to speak with William Daley, an aggressive San Diego DUI lawyer and San Diego criminal defense attorney with over 30 years of experience defending his clients and fighting their DUI charges. Call our office today at (619) 238-1905 for a free consultation.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>